- Age group : 9 months - 5 years
- MC during childhood, comes in 14-18 months (Mostly)
- < 10 mins duration
- Single febrile episode
- Risk of epilepsy later - 1%
- Partial seizures
- > 15 mins
- Multiple febrile episodes
- Risk of epilepsy later - 7%
Recurrence : 30 - 50 %
Thus Intermittent prophylaxis is used : Fever - Paracetamol , Diazepalm / Clobazam (oral)
- Rule out meningitis as a differential diagnosis.
Meningeal signs are rare in < 18months , therefore in these children do Lumbar puncture also.
- Prolonged febrile seizures can cause Mesial Temporal Sclerosis.
MedicoNotebook - Founder : DrShiviMudgal , Co-Founder : DrAyushGoel