- Inflammatory obstruction of small airways
- Usually < 2years ( mostly at 6 months )
- Viral infection : RSV ( 50% cases)
Risk factors :
- Top feed ( Breast milk is protective as it has IgA against RSV )
- Smoking mothers
Clinical features :
- Viral prodorme
- Wheezing in < 2year old - think Bronchiolitis
- Wheezing in Adults - think Asthma.
Chest X-Ray : Hyperinflation.
Drug of choice : Humidified Oxygen. ( Antibiotics are not used )
Q. When is Ribavirin used and when is Palivizumab used in cases of Bronchiolitis?
Answer : When associated with
- Cyanotic congenital heart disease - Use Ribavirin or Palivizumab
- Chronic Lung disease patients (Preterm - Bronchopulmonary hypoplasia) - Use Palivizumab
MedicoNotebook - Founder : DrShiviMudgal , Co-Founder : DrAyushGoel